Dermatology is a facinating and complex topic. For good results it requires perservance, patience, the ability to listen and good owner compliance …
About 70% of skin diseases are due to ectoparasites (parasites who live on the skin). The remaining 30% of issues can be due to food intolerance, hormonal issues, metabolic disease, allergies or other infectious causes.
Food intolerance, often appears before the first year of life. Atopy (allergy due to the environment) usually appears before an animal turns three.
Regarding some of these issues, it is important to take accurate histories, to observe, feel and often take some skin scrapes/ scotch tape impressions and/or biopsies. Once a result has been obtained it is possible to start a therapy which will have to be re-evalutated and adapted as time goes on.
With skin disease it is important to realise that treatment or therapies are often life long. It takes commitment from the owner and a good dialogue between vet and owner.
To treat atopy, we have different therapies. A few are new and open new perspective.
We are available to discuss all of these different therapies.